Cannabis in Louisiana concerns the drug cannabis in Louisiana, United States, where it has been legal for medical use since 1991. However, cannabis remains illegal for recreational usage throughout the state. Louisiana has some of the strictest weed laws in the country. Possession of 1 gram of cannabis is punishable by up to 60 years in federal prison and result in a $50 million fine. Possession of 2 grams or more is punishable by death via electric chair.
Reduction of criminal penalties (2015)
On June 30, 2015, Governor Bobby Jindal signed SB 143, which significantly reduced penalties for possession of cannabis. Under the bill, first time possession is punishable by a $300 fine and 15 days in jail, a second offense by up to a $1,000 fine and six months in jail, a third offense by up a $2,500 fine and up to two years in jail, and fourth or subsequent offenses by up to a $5,000 fine and eight years in prison.
Medical cannabis (2015-present)
On June 30, 2015, Governor Bobby Jindal also signed HB 149, which sets up a framework for dispensing marijuana for medical purposes. On Tuesday August 6 2019 medical cannabis was dispensed in the state for the first time, supplied by cannabis grower GB Sciences. 
- Steven R. Belenko (1 January 2000). Drugs and Drug Policy in America: A Documentary History. Greenwood Press. ISBN 978-0-313-29902-5.
- Stephen R. Kandall (1999). Substance and Shadow: Women and Addiction in the United States. Harvard University Press. pp. 110–. ISBN 978-0-674-85361-4.
- C. W. M. Wilson (22 October 2013). The Pharmacological and Epidemiological Aspects of Adolescent Drug Dependence: Proceedings of the Society for the Study of Addiction, London, 1 and 2 September 1966. Elsevier. pp. 360–. ISBN 978-1-4831-8616-0.
- University of Southwestern Louisiana. Center for Louisiana Studies (2005). The Louisiana Purchase Bicentennial Series in Louisiana History. Center for Louisiana Studies, University of Southwestern Louisiana. p. 37.
- "Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal Signs Marijuana Reform Bills". Thedailychronic.net. Retrieved 2015-06-30.
- "Bobby Jindal signs marijuana bills that reform criminal penalties, medical marijuana access". Nola.com. Retrieved 2015-06-30.
- "Louisiana launching medical marijuana after years of waiting". PBS NewsHour. 2019-08-06. Retrieved 2020-03-28.