International Statistical Institute
The International Statistical Institute (ISI) is a professional association of statisticians. It was founded in 1885, although there had been international statistical congresses since 1853. The institute has about 4,000 elected members from government, academia, and the private sector. The affiliated Associations have membership open to any professional statistician. The institute publishes a variety of books and journals, and holds an international conference every two years. The biennial convention was commonly known as the ISI Session; however, since 2011, it is now referred to as the ISI World Statistics Congress. The permanent office of the institute is located in the Statistics Netherlands building in Den Haag - Leidschenveen (The Hague), in the Netherlands.
- Bernoulli Society for Mathematical Statistics and Probability (BS)
- International Association for Statistical Computing (IASC)
- International Association for Official Statistics (IAOS)
- International Association for Statistical Education (IASE)
ISI Committees fall under one of three categories: operational, special interest, and outreach.
Current Special Interest Groups are:
- Agricultural sciences
- History of statistics
- Professional ethics
- Promotion of statistics in the life sciences
- Risk analysis
- Sports statistics
- Statistics of travel and tourism
- Women in statistics
ISI publishes the following journals:
- Bulletin of the International Statistical Institute
- International Statistical Review
- Computational Statistics & Data Analysis
- Statistics Surveys
Karl Pearson Prize
The Karl Pearson Prize was commenced by the ISI in 2013 to acknowledge contributions, which must be a research article or book published within the last three decades, on statistical theory, methodology, practice, or applications. The prize was named after English statistician Karl Pearson. It is bestowed biennially at the ISI World Statistics Congress. The winner of the prize receives 5,000 euros and gives the Karl Pearson Lecture.
Presidents of ISI
- 1885 - 1899 Sir Rawson W. Rawson (England)
- 1899 - 1908 Karl von Inama-Sternegg (Austria)
- 1909 - 1920 Luigi Bodio (Italy)
- 1923 - 1931 Albert Delatour (France)
- 1931 - 1936 Friedrich Zahn (Germany)
- 1936 - 1947 (Belgium)
- 1947 - 1947 Walter F. Willcox (USA)
- 1947 - 1953 Stuart A. Rice (USA)
- 1953 - 1960 Georges Darmois (France)
- 1960 - 1963 Marcello Boldrini (Italy)
- 1963 - 1967 Sir Harry Campion (England)
- 1967 - 1971 William G. Cochran (USA)
- 1971 - 1975 Petter Jakob Bjerve (Norway)
- 1975 - 1977 Milos Macura (Yugoslavia)
- 1977 - 1979 Calyampudi Radhakrishna Rao (India)
- 1979 - 1981 Edmond Malinvaud (France)
- 1981 - 1983 (Chile)
- 1983 - 1985 James Durbin (England)
- 1985 - 1987 Sigeiti Moriguti (Japan)
- 1987 - 1989 Ivan P. Fellegi (Canada)
- 1989 - 1991 Gunnar Kulldorff (Sweden)
- 1991 - 1993 Frederick Mosteller (USA)
- 1993 - 1995 Jayanta K. Ghosh (India)
- 1995 - 1997 Sir David R. Cox (England)
- 1997 - 1999 Willem R. van Zwet (Netherlands)
- 1999 - 2001 Jean-Louis Bodin (France)
- 2001 - 2003 Dennis Trewin (Australia)
- 2003 - 2005 Stephen M. Stigler (USA)
- 2005 - 2007 (Denmark)
- 2007 - 2009 Denise A. Lievesley (England)
- 2009 - 2011 Jef L. Teugels (Belgium)
- 2011 - 2013 Jae Chang Lee (Korea)
- 2013 - 2015 Vijayan Nair (USA)
- 2015 - 2017 (Brazil)
- 2017 - 2019 Helen MacGillivray (Australia)
- 2019 - 2021 (USA)
- Royal Statistical Society of Belgium
- Pablo Ferrari
- United Nations Statistical Commission
- World Health Organization
- Beatrix of the Netherlands
- International Statistical Institute
- History. Stephen Stigler, International Statistical Institute.
- International Statistical Institute, YouTube.
- J. W. Nixon (1960) A History of the International Statistical Institute, 1885-1960, The Hague : International Statistical Institute.
- "World Statistics Congresses". International Statistical Institute. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- Portfolio. International Statistical Institute.
- Mr. Shigeru Kawasaki became new President of the IAOS. The statistics Bureau of Japan. September 30, 2013. Archived 2018-06-28 at the Wayback Machine
- "The Karl Pearson Prize for Contemporary Research Contribution". International Statistical Institute. Archived from the original on 8 November 2014. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "The inaugural Karl Pearson Prize". The International Statistical Institute. Archived from the original on 8 November 2014. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- ISI Presidents Archived 2013-04-03 at the Wayback Machine
- ISI News Archive Archived 2018-06-28 at the Wayback Machine[Positional parameters ignored]
- Queen Beatrix at jubilee conference of the International Statistical Institute.. Netherland National Archive. Photograph collection.